Veldhuis April 2014 Prayer Letter
Dear Prayer Partners in Christ,
Three Cocopah deaths, record numbers of prison Bible studies, and serious family health problems since our December letter multiplied the demands of Native labors and made your faithfulness that much more precious. [“…we had the sentence of death in ourselves that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead; who delivered us from so great a death and doth deliver…ye also helping together by prayer for us…”] (I Cor. 1:9-11)
Words cannot tell the unexpressed gratitude we owe our Lord and each of you for protection and provisions through life-threatening health crises for Dawn and Lydia. We apologize at how many precious gifts we failed to recognize in recent months, but assure you time has only endeared what overwhelming loads obscured.
Your December sacrifices enabled us to get the life-transforming gospel to more Cocopah and detainees than ever before-some for the last time. Adrian, Angel, Chris, Javier, and Rodrigo made wonderful professions of faith before disappearing in our penal system. PRAY we’ll soon add these men to weekly Bible studies with growing detainees, Bobby, Jesse, Jovanny, Mikhail, Ricky L., and Victor.
Other Cocopah heard the call to repentance and faith and passed into eternity without clear professions of faith. Sixty-two, fifty-eight, and twenty-four year olds Douglas, Irene, and Clarissa died January and February-all from years of substance abuse. PRAY for repentance and comfort of the Hayes, Sharkey, Thomas, and White families as even Clarissa’s professing Christian sisters turned to alcohol for solace. PRAY for their mother Alfreda and other adults such as Amanda, George, Millie, and Shirley’s conversions.
BLESS Him for protecting Dawn from permanent harm or injuries driving while we reigned in sugar levels near 500, severe weakness, and unexplained muscle wasting from runaway diabetes. Insulin injections and drastic diet changes normalized her sugar levels in weeks, but dangerously aggravated the edema associated with her vasculitis. PRAY for wisdom distinguishing and treating the relevant contributions of asthma, diabetes, and vasculitis to Dawn’s severe weakness and extreme edema.
PRAY that Yuma work ups of Lydia’s C.O.P.D., reactive airway disease, and pulmonary hypertension will permit an accurate annual assessment and treatment plan of her progressive lung disease. Phoenix pulmonologists and lung transplant specialists will make final decisions regarding her care in May.
· Successful Tea Party and Ladies’ Bible study 3/29/14 for saved or otherwise unreached women.
· Major repairs on our largest bus.
· Detention center conversions and weekly Bible studies.
· Ability to restock dwindling Bible studies and tracts.
· All of Dawn’s recent medical bills will be paid by our reinstated low income medical insurance.
· Ricky S.’s full commitment to the Lord and superb witness to family and friends.
· Lydia’s current flu and pressing respiratory and dental needs.
· Dawn’s ongoing health needs and recovery of strength.
· Revival meetings at Maranatha Baptist Church, April 13-19, 2014.
· Michael’s deputation trip as far as Ohio and Florida April 13- mid May.
· The Hendersons, Dawn, Lydia, Silas, and Bro. Jason carrying on main ministries while Michael is away.
· Preparations and provisions for Neighborhood Bible Time, July 2014 and Christian camp later in the summer.
Sincerely in Christ,
Michael, Dawn, Lydia and Silas Veldhuis